Open Account in English with Your Smartphone
Open account with our App in English. You just need to scan your documents - no seal and no difficult paperwork required.
What is required?
- Valid residence card
- Valid health insurance card
- Business card or a document with your full name in Katakana
- You are over 20 years old and resident in Japan
- You have a valid address and phone number in Japan
- You are individual customer (not a business)
What is not required?
- Complicated paperwork
- A hanko (personal seal)
- Visiting bank branches
- If you haven't stayed in Japan for at least 6 months you can still open an account, as long as you can provide a picture of your health insurance card and/or business card.
- Please note that "Sony Bank" app and "Sony Bank WALLET" app are available in Japanese only. Please sign in to our English online banking (browser-based) for transactions in English.
Open an account in three steps
Download our Open Account app
Scan required documents and enter your information
Receive your Sony Bank WALLET (Cash card with Visa Debit) by postal mail in around 10 days
U.S. citizens submitting applications to open an account with Sony Bank are also required to complete two additional forms related to tax residency (FACTA and CRS). Please fill out, sign, and return the forms to us so that they arrive by the due date specified in the cover letter. If you have jurisdiction of residence in any country other than Japan, please fill out the self-certification form, fully listing your jurisdiction(s) of residence and taxpayer identification number(s) for each jurisdiction, then submit it to us. We will issue your card after receiving the forms.
Download the app now
Download and install the free Open Account app on your smartphone.
- This Open Account app can be downloaded from Apple Stores and Google Play in Japan, the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Brazil, China, South Africa, Sweden, India, the Philippines, Singapore, and Malaysia.
- If your Apple ID is registered in a country or region other than those listed above, please create a new Apple ID or change your Apple ID country or region to Japan. For further details, please refer to Apple Support.
- If you are registered with Google Play in a country other than those listed above, please create a new Google account or change your Google Play country to Japan. For further details, please refer to Google Play Help.
- Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries and regions. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
- Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.
To Japanese customers
This Open Account app is designed for foreign residents in Japan.
For Japanese customers, please press the button below, to open your account
from our Japanese language website.