- Leaving Japan
Before you leave Japan permanently you must cancel your Sony Bank account. This guide outlines the cancellation process and what you will need to prepare. The procedures must be completed on our Online banking.
The buying and selling of bank accounts and cash cards is a crime. Such activities are punishable by imprisonment for up to one year or a fine of up to one million yen.
1. Before you cancel your account
Before you can cancel your Sony Bank account, you must complete the procedures below. Please sign in to our Online banking to confirm the services you are using and their transaction status. If you cannot sign in because you have forgotten your password, please reset it here.
Step 1: Complete all foreign currency remittance
You cannot cancel your bank account if you have pending transactions. Please make sure that all your foreign currency remittance are completed before leaving Japan. It can take up to one month for the funds you sent to arrive in the beneficiary's account.
- Foreign currency remittance from Sony Bank
- A foreign currency remittance cannot be canceled after the funds has been sent from your Sony Bank account. Therefore, you must wait until all transactions have been completed.
- Foreign currency remittance to Sony Bank
- Before you can cancel your bank account, you need to have all received foreign currency remittances deposited to your account. Please check Incoming foreign currency remittance for more information.
Step 2: Cancel all foreign currency savings accounts
If you have foreign currency savings accounts, please cancel all the accounts according to the following procedure. At cancellation, the principal and interest of the foreign currency savings account will be transferred to your yen savings account.
How to cancel a foreign currency savings account
- Sign in to our Online banking
- Select Foreign currency deposits from Menu
- Select Close a foreign currency account
- Select the foreign currency savings account to cancel
- When transferring funds to your yen savings account, the exchange rate and exchange fee at the time of cancellation will apply.
- Please check the hours foreign currency transactions are not available. You can only cancel your account outside this time.
Step 3: Cancel all other accounts
If you are using products or services only available on the Japanese language website, such as yen time savings account or foreign currency time deposits, please sign in to the Japanese language website and complete the cancellation procedures. If you have any questions regarding above, please contact the Customer Center (Japanese language only).
Account cancellation may not be possible if there are pending scheduled transactions, such as cashback on your Sony Bank WALLET (Visa Debit) or scheduled fund transfer, etc.
2. How to cancel your account
During the cancellation of your Sony Bank account, you need to specify a beneficiary account. This account needs to be under your name and with a financial institution in Japan. The total balance (principal) and interest of your yen savings account will be transferred to this specified beneficiary account. We do not charge any fees for this fund transfer. After you have canceled your account, please ensure that the transferred funds have arrived in the beneficiary account before discarding your Sony Bank WALLET and token.
How to cancel your Sony Bank account
- Sign in to our Online banking
- Select Settings from Menu
- Select Cancel your account
- If "Cancel your account" button is not available, please make sure you have canceled all foreign currency accounts.
- If you are unable to complete the above procedures using our Online banking because you have lost your token or card, please contact the English help desk.
- If you have no beneficiary account under your name in Japan
You cannot cancel your Sony Bank account using the procedure described above if you don't have a beneficiary account under your name with a financial institution in Japan. Please use your Sony Bank WALLET instead to withdraw the total balance of your yen savings account in cash from a partner ATM in Japan. For more information please check ATM.
After you have withdrawn your total balance, please complete the cancellation procedure described above or contact the English help desk.
3. If you have already left Japan
If you did not cancel your Sony Bank account prior to leaving Japan permanently, please contact the English help desk.
Foreign currency deposit
Learn more about your foreign currency savings account, for trading foreign currency and making payments.
Outgoing foreign currency remittance
Learn more about outgoing foreign currency remittance from Sony Bank to other banks in and outside Japan.
Incoming foreign currency remittance
Learn more about incoming foreign currency remittance to Sony Bank from other banks in and outside Japan.