- Customers who apply for a new account:
- Based on the residence card you submit via Open Account app, we will verify details such as your period of stay (date of expiration), status of residence and period of validity of the card itself.
- Customers who already have an account:
- Depending on the nature and circumstances of a given transaction, we will verify details such as your period of stay (date of expiration), status of residence and period of validity of the card itself.
- Every time you extend your period of stay (date of expiration) or change your status of residence, you are required to present your new residence card (copy) upon each renewal for our verification.
Procedures for Verification of Residency
We will mail a return form to your registered address by post when your residence card is about to expire. Please return the documents using the return envelope by the submission due date specified in the cover letter. (Please confirm (a) and (b) below for applicable identification documents.)
- (a) Residence card holders
- Renewed residence card (Copy of both the front side and back side of the card)
- (b) Naturalized Japanese citizen (Please submit one of the following.)
- Certificate of Residence (Original copy)
- Certified copy of Family Register (Original copy)
- Japan passport (Copy of the page with the seal of the Minister of Foreign Affairs, your photo, and information on bearer.)
Japan passports issued in or after 2020 cannot be accepted as a form of identification. Please submit either a Certificate of Residence (Original copy) or a Certified copy of Family Register.
- In accordance with sony bank general terms and conditions, please note that all or some transactions may be restricted, if you fail to submit the required documents or contact us by the due date.
- You are required to submit a copy of your new residence card every time your period of stay expires. Previously submitted residence cards will not be accepted.
- If you plan to return to your home country or are no longer residing in Japan
- An application for opening an account can be made only by individuals residing in Japan. If you are an account holder and plan to leave Japan permanently, you are required to close your Sony Bank account after signing in to our English online banking.
- If you have a change of address
- Sign in to our English online banking, selecting [Settings] - [Updating customer information] - [Update]. On the [Updating customer information] screen, fill in the fields to be changed and then select [Next]. (Fields that have not changed should be left blank.) Please update your registered address before submitting your identity verification document to complete residency verification procedures. If the address on the submitted identity verification document and your registered address differ, we will not be able to complete residency verification procedures.
- If you haven't received a return form or envelope
- We will send a return form and return envelope to you by regular mail about one month before the expiration date of your current period of stay. Sign in to our English online banking to make sure that your postal address is registered correctly. If your registered address is correct but you have not received the return form or envelope, please contact our English help desk.
- If you are unable to submit your identity verification documents by the submission due date
- If you have difficulty preparing your identity verification documents due to circumstances such as travel restrictions caused by the COVID-19, please contact our English help desk by the submission due date. Please note that all or some transactions may be restricted if you fail to contact us by the specified due date.